Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bill Walsh dead at 75

No, I'm not a football fan, nor am I any kind of sports fan. But I grew up in a house where football was king, and Bill Walsh was a god to my father and brother. I note his passing here because I am still a San Franciscan in many ways, and Bill Walsh is a large part of my Bay Area history. Walsh turned the 49ers into a football team that everyone in Northern California could be proud of, even if - like me - some of them didn't quite understand what the hell a first or fourth down was. In the years immediately following the Jonestown massacre (most of the 900+ victims came from the San Francisco Bay Area, where the cult originated), the murders of Harvey Milk and George Moscone, and the subsequent White Night Riots that occurred immediately afterward, the people of San Francisco especially needed something to feel good about. Bill Walsh gave them that.

Rest in peace, Coach.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Aw...

Thanks for the memories, Coach. Those were some awesome teams you built.