Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday night polyunsaturated genre link-dump.

Had a low key and restful day today. Met up with SoundGirl for a leisurely brunch at Five Points. It was really wonderful to see her; it had been a long while and we had much to catch up on. We shared a plate of fresh churros and Mexican hot chocolate (okay, okay - I had five churros; she had one) and then I had a pretty spectacular baked tomato and egg dish that was too big to finish (see churro consumption confession above).

On the way to meet her, however, I popped into Shakespeare & Company Books to kill a little time and ended up being courted by a large and extremely affectionate tuxedo feline named Monty (aka Fat Wanker). He waddled up to greet me as I walked in and followed me around for a few minutes before stretching his front paws up on my leg and demanding to be picked up. Those of you who are owned by felines know that picking up any cat, particularly a stranger cat, is taking one's life in one's hands. The store clerk looked dubious. Nevertheless, I picked him up and swung him over my shoulder where he remained happily purring for the next twenty minutes while I browsed around the store. Bought a copy of Mo Hayder's The Devil of Nanking (shelved - oddly enough - in their wee little SF/F section; I do love this store but their SF/F selection has always been pathetic and sad). Then Monty and I came to an understanding about our brief but torrid affair; we agreed it was best to go our separate ways.

After brunch, I visited my pal Ilya for a $6 haircut, sat outside and read for a bit and then came in and had a four hour nap with my own cats. Got up. Read some more. Ate a bowl of Cheerios.

Good times, my friends. Good times.

Anyway, onto the linkage:
At the Naples Daily News, Ben Bova posits the idea that the American education system be put in the hands of the U.S. military. (Um, I hope this is satire.)

At the New York Times Book Review, Jonathan Ames reviews Matt Ruffs's Bad Monkeys, while Dave Itzkoff looks at William Gibson's Spook Country.

At Associated Press, Sara Rose also reviews Spook Country, as does Matt Thorne at the UK's Independent.

At The London Times, Nick Rennison looks at Marie Phillips's comic fantasy Gods Behaving Badly.

At the Washington Post Book World, Elizabeth Ward reviews Lian Hearn's newest tale of the Otori, Heaven's Net is Wide.

I missed one from last Sunday's Contra Costa Times: Claudia Smith-Brinson reviews Mary Modern by Camille DeAngelis.
Short round-up today; more tomorrow.

No comments: