Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tuesday morning genre link dump. Without speeches from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

You'd think that the president of an entire country would at least be able to afford a necktie when he speaks in front of an entire friggin' college. I'm just sayin'.
The British Fantasy Award winners have been announced.

At Bookgasm, Rod Lott looks at Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd; Ryun Patterson reviews Ivory by Mike Resnick; Brian Grossman reviews The Electric Church by Jeff Somers; and, lastly, Doug Bentin looks at Brain Keene's Dead Sea (a novel that begins with the line "I didn’t shoot the bitch until she started eating Alan’s face." Yes, I'm serious.)

At SciFi Weekly, Paul Di Fillippo reviews The Spiral Labyrinth by Matthew Hughes. I also missed one from last week: Jeff VanderMeer reviews The Electric Church by Jeff Somers.

At SciFi Wire, JJA profiles Daniel Abraham.

SF Site has been updated. Among the new offerings: reviews of Promises to Keep by Charles de Lint, In War Times by Kathleen Ann Goonan, and Powers by Ursula K. LeGuin. In additiona, Neil Walsh takes a closer look at two of my favorite novels from years gone by, Startide Rising by David Brin and The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.

Lastly, here's a sneak peak at the stunning cover of Gregory Frost's forthcoming novel Shadowbridge (a novel I cannot recommend highly enough, by the way - simply gorgeous stuff):

7 comments:

E.E. Knight said...

I really appreciate these. Just so you know!

~Eric

Anonymous said...

Did he attend the same tie-tying seminar as you?

SSB

Steve Berman said...

The Shadowbridge cover is terrific and the words inside are great. Greg was kind enough to offer an excerpt of sorts for the Magic in the Mirrorstone anthology

La Gringa said...

Thanks, Eric! Glad you find them useful. I enjoy doing them. It gives me a chance to keep my hand in the world of genre, even when I am no longer get paid to work on genre titles.

:-)

La Gringa said...

Hey, SuSubelle! At leats I TRIED to wear the tie. And I was told at the party that I actually rocked that tie pretty hard. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you looked smashing, LG. Poor Mr. Ahmadinejad could have an Extreme Makeover and he'd still look like he slept in his clothes behind the dumpster at KFC.

SSB

Chris, The Book Swede said...

I've been following the Ahmadinejad thing on our news. I know the reaction to his appearance has been quite severe, but was wondering whether he actually answered anything properly or whether he avoided the questions like most politicians!?

Our news seems to be having a go more at Bush this week, though -- apparently he made some gaff about Austria/Australia LOL.

I also enjoy the genre link dumps -- It's good to find some other review sites (and, of course, I love it when I'm mentioned! :)

~Chris

PS: Sorry for the mass amounts of commenting I've done tonight -- catching up on some I missed earlier ;)