Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Boy howdy, do I have news for y'all!
La Gringa is now a literary agent!

I've been waiting to announce this, but now I can:

As of today, I am a literary agent with FinePrint Literary Management, specializing in fantasy and science fiction, horror, paranormal romance, graphic novels, YA fiction, and pop culture.

This all came about rather suddenly. Some of you who know me know that I have been interviewing at several literary agencies these past few weeks. I've had job interviews as well as informational interviews, and in general trying to learn as much as I can about this very different side of the book industry. Last Thursday I had an informational interview scheduled with Peter Rubie and Stephany Evans at FinePrint. I had a wonderful conversation with both of them, and also re-connected with agent extraordinaire Janet Reid, whom I'd known from her days as a journalist at Oregon Public Radio.

A couple of hours later, when I got home, I discovered that Peter had left a job offer on my voicemail.

I was utterly gobsmacked. And thrilled!

Several email conversations and phone calls later, I formally accepted the position as a literary agent at FinePrint. I started this morning, in fact!

I wanted to wait to announce the details until I knew my FinePrint email would be up and working, and also so that I'd have some time to revise my bio and write up some submission guidelines.

But now it's official. So start sending in those queries, kids!

30 comments:

Aaron M. Wilson said...

Nice! I knew you would find someting good!

Janet Reid said...

welcome to the jungle!

Sarah Prineas said...

Hi there! You don't know me, but I appreciate your sale updates and I've been following your job search with interest. Congratulations! This sounds like an exciting new move, and a good fit for you.

Tia Nevitt said...

Like Sarah, I've been following your job search and I figured it was only a matter of time before you found a home in an agency. Congratulations!

kristine-smith said...

Congratulations!!

Linda Daly said...

Congratulations! (You don't know me, except in the context of an odd LiveJournal coincidence.)

I wish you the best of luck and much success!

Robert said...

That's awesome news! Good for you and congrats :D

Amie Stuart said...

Congratulations!!! Here's to many fine sales!

tmweyna said...

Congratulations! May you discover many fine new writers.

Curt Hopkins said...

Never apologize for ruling.

Mike Jasper said...

Congrats! Best of luck to ya in the new j-o-b.

Larry said...

Congrats, Colleen! I've been checking in every now and then, hoping to hear that something came through for you and now I see it has :D Sounds like it might even be a more exciting job than the old publicist positions you've had. Thanks for sharing :D

Kelley Eskridge said...

Congratulations, Colleen!

Josh said...

Congratulations and best wishes on the new job! That's always exciting.

shina-laris said...

Congratulations! That's an awesome news, and a wonderful job offer. :)

Jennifer Jackson said...

Way to go! Welcome to the crazy world of agenting... Are you going to blog here about agenting? Should I add it to my "agents who blog" sidebar?

Laura Elliott said...

Good luck on your new job!

Therese said...

Yay! Another set of skillz for you to rock at. Congrats!

Laura said...

Congrats! Hopefully, I'll be able to send you something in the next 6 months! :)

Good luck!

ceelee said...

Woot! I hope you keep us posted on the life and times of a young aspiring agent?

J M McDermott said...

Congratulations!

You'll be working with a fine bunch of people.

Good luck!

Tez Miller said...

My message to your work email has bounced - your mailbox is full. Bad news for me, but good news for you :-)

Have a lovely day! :-)

moonrat said...

congratulations!!!! what a great place you've ended up!!

John Joseph said...

Congrats!

RobB said...

NICE! Great, GREAT news, Colleen. I'm very happy for you, this sounds like it could be a great opportunity.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Congratulations, Gringa! I hope you find some amazing stuff to rep.

Rae L. said...

Congratulations Colleen!

Christopher Barzak said...

Congratulations, Colleen!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXO

Jeff B said...

Bravo!

M.R.M. said...

Congrats!!!!!!