Saturday, February 23, 2008

Staggering query odds.

I thought I was asking for too many partials, and then I sat down and did the math.
  • Out of the approximately 1,100 queries I've received in the past ten days, I have asked for a total of 55 partials. So that's like, what, .05% of queries received?
  • And out of those 55 partials I have (so far) asked for only 6 full manuscripts.
  • I have 183 queries left in the email box.
No, this is not a normal amount of queries. This is what happens when you have lovable friends who happen to be popular bloggers with big mouths. The volume has slowed significantly since the first three days, and I expect it will now be closer to what other agents get on a weekly basis.

But I just thought the math was interesting.

8 comments:

Joya said...

1,100 queries in ten days? WOW! You've done an excellent job going through all of them while still making time to blog about condom wrappers and nekkid rugby players. Color me impressed!

Susan said...

Fresh blood *G*.

evilphilip said...

I'm not sure if I should be impressed by the number of people out there writing novels or depressed that so few of them are worth reading.

Spectre-7 said...

My math is a little rusty, but I think that's 5% (1/20th). Still an impressively small number, though. ;)

S. E. Ward said...

Elvis on a stick, no wonder you're sleep-deprived. And the number of complete mss. you've requested is both awe-inspiring and intimidating. I have to wonder what made them stand out from the rest of the pack. Hints! Hints!

And you get some rest! It's the weekend! I'll tell the cats to lay on you.

La Gringa said...

No rest for the wicked.

Michael Siemsen said...

every agent should be required to provide the stats you do! If only.


http://michaelsiemsen.blogspot.com/

Matt Mitchell said...

I'm still planning on sending you mine, so I hope you don't fill up with clients too quickly. :-)