Friday, February 15, 2008

Yikes! Email box got all 'splodey again!

Email box is full again; kids. Sorry!

This, by the way, is why we don't want attachments when you email us unless we ask for them. I know the email box is full 'cos my colleague Janet has been forwarding things to me from people who are emailing her instead.

So, you can do one of two things:
  • Wait until tomorrow sometime and try to email your query again or
  • Send to colleen.lindsay (at) gmail (dot) com (That email address will always work as a secondary email send-to, by the way.)
EDIT TO ADD: As I suspected, someone sent me a huge file attachment with their query. It has clogged the server.

See note again in submissions guidelines re no attachments, not ever, for any reason at all, unless invited to send, upon pain of death. Do you see how La Gringa is waving her pointy school-marmish finger of doom all over the place? Do you? Well, she is!

Now we must wait for Peter-the-Fixer-of-Everything to delete the email.

(Yes, that means the query will be deleted unread, evil ignorer of submission guidelines!)

5 comments:

Brigid said...

Bleh. But at least you're popular!!

I sent you a query Wednesday morning. (Actually, my husband sent it for me from my account, because I was having technical issues of my own.)After reading your previous blog entries about the last time your email crashed, I was worried my query got caught up in that mess, but I didn't want to requery and make you think I'm an impatient nutjob. Now you're having more problems, and I sure don't want to add to them by sending another query and clogging more file space!

I know you said 48 hours response time, which was incredibly generous, but I know now you're being inundated. I don't want to kill you with emails. If I haven't heard back in two weeks, should I try again? Or are you not responding to queries in which you have no interest? I don't want to beat a dead horse, and I know you already have tons on your plate.

(Can you imagine if you were taking queries by mail? :-P)

La Gringa said...

Hi Brigid -

I got your query - it's in my February 13th folder, which I am making my way through right now. My problem now is that I can't send my from work email right now, either.

Oy!

I do respond to every query, though.

Snail mail would be a disaster. I'm only in the office one or two days a week, and it would just pile up like crazy.

S. E. Ward said...

Y'know, I'd say you've got the weekend to relax with the cats, but it sounds like that's not even an option at this point. Besides, I know what it's like to live with two cats, and "relax" is the last word I'd associate with them. (I knew we shouldn't have named them after a leopard and an LSD-popping sociologist.)

Brigid said...

That's so sweet of you to go and look. I didn't mean to make you do that. Thank you for checking!

Good luck with the technical issues. Do you feel like the people in that commercial who start up a small business website, and they watch their hit counter go to something like 10, then 25, then 100, and they pop open the champagne...then the hit counter goes to 500, to 1000, and their faces just fall. I can't imagine such an influx of email.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. Thank you, thank you. I'm sorry for making you look, but at least I can rest easy knowing it got there.

Hmm. Now what can I obsess over...

Rachel said...

Would adding another "from" address to your gmail account solve the problem? Like, set it up so all mail goes through gmail, but it looks like it's coming and going from your fineprint.com address?

Of course, being a supreme geek like you are, you probably already thought of this, so I'll stop backseat (comment trail) driving (offering obvious advice).

Good luck on your slog!