Monday, March 3, 2008

La Gringa welcomes a new client: S.E Ward!

On behalf of FinePrint Literary Management, I am thrilled to be able to welcome debut novelist S.E. (Susan) Ward into the fold as a new client.

Susan's work has appeared in Baen's Universe among others and she has a story forthcoming in City Slab. In 2005, she won first place in the ChiZine Short Story Contest. Susan keeps a blog here, and has a website that talks more about her writing here.

Why did I choose Susan? First, like Kelly Gay, Susan's query letter was nigh unto perfect. Concise but packed with information and a great opening paragraph hook. In short, she knows how to sell herself. Second, the concept behind her novel was truly original, fantastically and beautifully so. In fact, I couldn't stop talking about how original it was to friends and colleagues, so in retrospect, I guess it's a good thing nobody glued my mouth shut, huh?

Anyway, welcome to FinePrint, Susan!

10 comments:

Josephine Damian said...

Colleen, consider me your cat whisperer. Kitty likes the water cold, thus the appeal of taps and toilet bowls.

I suggest you fill a bowl halfway, stick it in the freezer. Once frozen top it of off with water, then serve. Mine get fresh bowls 3X's a day. They have me trained well, too.

Any chance you might get permission from Susan to show us that query?

Joya said...

For some reason I find it doubly cool that S.E. Ward's your client now. I see her commenting here all the time!

I'm pretty curious about her novel and query letter now. Hopefully you'll be able to share the specifics of at least one of them with us soon. :)

Congrats to you both!

Kelly Gay said...

YAY Susan!! Congratulations to both of you. :)

S. E. Ward said...

Thanks, everyone, and thanks again, Colleen. :) Wow, you has this up and full of comments before I even rolled out of bed! (Day off from the day job.) I'll talk to Colleen about posting the query after the book is sold, though a little (a very, very little) about the series is on my website. I wouldn't even call it a taste so much as a glimpse of the dessert tray across a crowded restaurant.

Re cats and cold water: Baby loves cold water, too. She'll drink out of our glasses if we give her half a chance. A few ice cubes might tempt Stinkyboy if that's what he's after. :)

Nicole Lorenz said...

Yay! Congratulations, Susan!

Spectre-7 said...

Fantastic! Congrats to you both!

Susan said...

What is going to be really exciting is when you sell these novels and we see them on the shelves. I am really looking forward to that and hope you make great sales.

Let's hope for happy agent/client relationships. *G*

I think I'd better start calling myself Sue since there seems to be a few of us Susans here.

Sue (http://makoiyi.livejournal.com/)

Seth said...

Congrats to you too, Susan. Seems like the gringa is coming up with a solid lineup of promising new talent. All the best to you guys.

reality967 said...

Congratulations Susan.
Dont know the genre, guess I'll have to follow the links above to find out.
Usman

S. E. Ward said...

Thanks, guys! :) Sorry I didn't respond sooner--Real Life refuses to stay in its cupboard.