Friday, April 25, 2008

The lamentations outside my window.

I live in a neighborhood bounded by three different Eastern Orthodox churches; in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, today is Good Friday, or what they refer to as the Great and Holy Friday.

At sunset on this day, every year, my neighbors leave their homes, all dressed in black, carrying burning candles, and they have a funeral procession for Christ down the center of 31st Avenue. They sing lamentations for the death of their savior and their singing is beautiful and gut-wrenching and soul-stirring.

It is one of the very many things I will miss about this neighborhood when I leave.

3 comments:

Dharma Kelleher said...

It is often amazing how our lives are inexplicably enriched by traditions not our own.

JS Bangs said...

Awesome. My wife and I will be at the Romanian Orthodox Easter Vigil tomorrow night, and this was a wonderful reminder. The local church here doesn't do a public procession--although I'm starting to think that maybe we should.

Mags said...

I could put a copper in the hopper.

Do you have to go?

I know it's NY and all, but... You've got neighbors. You don't have to know their names, but you've got neighbors.