Tuesday, July 22, 2008

General (wholly unsatisfying, I'm sure)
query update and a big apology.

First off, my sincere apologies to any of you out there who've been waiting for a response from me on a query or a partial. I'm still (more or less) on a blogging hiatus but wanted to pop in and give y'all brief update on where I am currently with partials and queries. And where I am is WAY WAY BEHIND.

So, if you've queried me or sent me a partial and haven't heard back from me yet, please don't resend your query or partial. Don't worry that I haven't gotten it because you haven't received a response yet. Do assume that I am just extremely backed up in reading and responding. For some reason my query rate has shot up enormously. (As an example, yesterday I received 131 queries in one day. That's considerably more than for a normal day; that's considerably more than more a normal week, actually.) I actually do respond to everything I receive (unless there's an unsolicited attachment of any kind; those just get deleted).

And I also want to gently remind everyone that I no longer accept snail mail or paper queries of any kind (although some of my colleagues at the agency still do). Any paper queries that are mailed to my attention at the FinePrint offices are automatically discarded. If you've sent me a snail mail query anytime between June 1st and today, and haven't heard back, well, it's because your query didn't get read. Do feel free to re-send as an e-query after reading my submissions guidelines, okay?

Please give me until September 1st to respond to everything. If by then you still haven't heard back from me (and if it has been at least four weeks since you sent your query or partial), please do feel free to drop me a polite reminder poke by email.

Thanks, all!

16 comments:

numdlmom said...

Colleen,

Thank you for your update. Authors always worry about these things. Does your backlog include partials that were requested and sent in February? Can we be sure you received those attachments without it being swept by your spam filter?

Jeff said...

Looks like you picked a bad day (131!) to quit sniffing glue.

annathepiper said...

I've just sent you a followup request re: my partial sent to you in March, but I also wanted to drop a public comment here to thank you for letting us know your status. We newbie authors very much appreciate it. :)

Mags said...

Thanks for the update!

Meradeth said...

Thanks for the update!

I'm guessing this includes full manuscripts too?

Kristin Laughtin said...

I'm always curious as to the causes behind these one-day spikes. They just seem so random, and to get more queries in a day than one normally does in a week? Yikes!

H. L. Dyer said...

I personally don't mind waiting, as long as I know the agent received the requested materials.

It's wondering about gremlins and gmail glitches that makes me crazy.

Thank you for this update (which I found pretty satisfying, really :) )

Joya said...

Thanks so much for the update, and best of luck getting caught up. :)

LeeAnn Flowers said...

I'd like to add my thanks to the others. It's really nice that you even took the time to give those of us waiting a heads up, and I truly appreciate it. Good luck wading through them.

Ciar Cullen said...

Crickey! 131 in a day? It must be that billboard I saw on the highway with your email address...

I was just about to query. Guess I'll cool my heels! Good luck on catching up.

Serenissima said...

Thanks for the update. Does the same hold true for requested fulls? I sent one in mid-May and am wondering if your spam filter ate it.

aqeldroma said...

It might be because of the GalleyCat and Publishers Lunch mentions... I mean, now you're selling stuff. ;)

Kelly Pollard said...

Love that you are back on the blog, I was missing your snarky voice. Thanks for the updates, it's so hard when your writing is floating around in the publishing abyss.

I'm with two other eager writers about your requested fulls--you haven't mentioned them in awhile. Mine was also sent in May and I always worry that moody, evil email abyss bounces the larger files out.

Sam I. Am said...

Thanks for the update. Wondering if the spam filter/post office ate one's query/partial is one of the most nerve wracking things about writing. It's much easier (for me, anyway) to know that the agent is just running behind a bit.

sheadakota said...

Thanks for the update!

Marian said...

I just got a form rejection email from an agent whom I didn't remember querying. I looked at the date on the email I'd sent her. April 2007. :o

Still, I updated my submission log.