Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Excellent interview with agent Jennifer Jackson.

Over at what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite new writing blogs (Novelists, Inc.), there is a really wonderful interview with agent Jennifer Jackson.

In one of her answers, she touches on something that I think may be the single most important thing that an author needs to know to become a better writer:
What is the biggest mistake you think writers today typically make in the genres you represent?

Not reading widely enough. Not just in their own genre, but out of it as well; and non-fiction too. I know in this fast-paced world, one never feels they have enough time. I have to work at it to find time to read more than just submissions myself. But I think it’s important for writers to also participate in the community as readers.

5 comments:

selonus said...

Certainly my traditional excuse for not reading more than I do has been "if I'm reading someone else's work, I feel guilty for not spend that time writing on my own." Of course, reading lots of other works IS working on my own piece because it will strengthen my writing as a whole.

michaeljasper said...

Funny -- that bit caught my eye too, as I've been casting around for a new book to "read for pleasure." (I use that term in quotes because I'm always mentally taking notes on how the author is doing even if I'm reading for fun).

Maybe I'll take another gander at my stacks of books in the To Be Read pile....

Aimless Writer said...

I'd read the milk carton it there's nothing else in the house. Give me an hour in Barnes & Noble and all my cares melt away.
When people ask me what I read I never know what to answer because I read everything and I thought I was weird, scattered, but I guess its a good thing, huh?

Jeff said...

I just finished Sara Gran's Come Closer. Now I'm reading Dostoevsky's Memoirs from the House of the Dead.

Deaf Brown Trash Punk said...

yeah, i am gonna try to read books by other aspiring writers, too. i just joined Authonomy last month.