Saturday, September 13, 2008

Kameron Hurley shares her query letter
for God's War

Another author pops into the blogosphere with a public query letter. This time it's my blogging pal Kameron Hurley, who shares her wonderful query letter for her forthcoming book God's War (and two sequels), a query that helped her land a relationship with her current agent extraordinaire, Jennifer Jackson. Jennifer then turned around and sold God's War + the sequels to Juliet Ulman at Bantam. (By the way, you can read Jennifer's comments on Kameron's query letter here. Interesting stuff.)

I read an early draft of God's War about two years ago and lemme tell ya, Kameron can write circles around most people. Her ideas are wholly unique, free from the tropes and cliches that bog down the work of most new writers. Indeed, I think she's invented a whole new kind of SF/F punk writing: sand punk. (She likes to think of it as bug punk, but really, it's all about the sand, man!) Think of it as steam punk but in a desert setting, with insect-based technology instead of thaumaturgy and alchemy. (And, much to my happiness, the book is entirely devoid of wizards and elves.)

Seriously, if this is the first time you've heard of her, make a note: Kameron Hurley is going places, and, yeah, her book is just that good.

* Kameron also keeps a pretty wonderful blog that is always interesting, except when she's talking about My Little Pony, and then it just veers into scary.

4 comments:

Lorra said...

Wow Colleen! Great stuff. I'd love to hear your opinion on the advice in today's and yesterday's queries. As one commentor pointed out, most of yesterday's queries were from previously published writers and I'm wondering if they are allowed more "creative" license than the unpublished writer?

It's also interesting to note that Kameron Hurley's query format is one that one of yesterday's writers advised against, although I believe Kameron's hookey opening and plot synopsis is far more creative than the example the writer used to illustrate what an amateur writer would do in a query.

I guess what I'm asking is: What's the best approach. Does it depend on the genre, previous publishing creds, what the agent is currently seeking, etc., etc.? Or is there one best way to skin the cat? (Sorry Colleen. Bad metaphor.)Curious minds want to know.

Jeff said...

Dark Sun

clindsay said...

it's really not like Dark Sun at all (or any other D20 setting that I know). It's very Muslim-influenced, with, ya know, bugs.

Jeff said...

Yes, but Dark Sun was sand punk. Not so many bugs. I remember more lizardy things. But I only played once. It wasn't my bag.