Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kelly Gay guest-blogging at Fantasy Debut

Just popping in to let you know that my client Kelly Gay is doing something interesting over at Tia Nevitt's great book blog Fantasy Debut. Tia has asked Kelly to write about the experience of having one's first book published. Kelly will be checking in there at various times to talk about where she is in the process and what that feels like.

Her first post is up now, and she's talking about how difficult it can be to switch gears mentally once you do sell that first book:
It’s been six months since I signed with my agent and nearly three since I sold to Pocket Books in a two-book deal. And quite frankly, it’s taken a little while to get used to the idea and to my new routine. I was used to scouring the web for industry news, writing up queries, polishing partials, pitching to editors and agents at conferences and being the best aspiring writer I could be. After a decade or so I became pretty good at it. I had a lot of confidence in my pursuit. That pursuit became my comfort zone. And after my sale, after all the furor died down, I suddenly felt out of my element. Stepping out of one's comfort zone can be an odd feeling.
A great post. Go check it out the whole thing!

3 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks for the shout! It's turning out to be a great conversation.

Kelly Gay said...

Thanks for the linkage, Miz Lindsay. ;-)

Heather said...

Tia does some simply spectacular features, I must say! ;)