Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Rejection is not for sissies."

And speaking of Rachelle Gardner's wonderful blog (yes, we were - look down a couple of posts), she has a great post up today on how we as agents have to learn to deal with the reality of constantly having to reject people. (Let's put it this way: it's not fun.)

This bit of wisdom, from a conversation with her husband, is particularly relevant:
“And YOU don’t cause a writer to have a bad day, either. You’re just the messenger, delivering some hard truth."
Read the whole thing here.

4 comments:

cathschaffstump said...

Thanks for pointing that one out. I too work in a profession where I get to reject, and am often accused of ruining someone's life (or at least their GPA). They know better. I know better.

You wouldn't want to be published, or to get a good grade, if your work were subpar, right? Yeah.

Okay, that is a bit thick, isn't it? :)

Catherine

Serenissima said...

I love Rachelle's blog. If I wrote Christian lit, she'd be the first agent I'd query.

ryan field said...

I've been on both ends. I've been the rejecter and the rejected. But I can say for sure that I'd never, ever give anyone the power to ruin my life (c'mon writers: buck up). And when I'm rejecting someone, I make it clear that it's a subjective decision and it has nothing to do with the quality of their writing. Because that's not for me to decide.

acpaul said...

Hmm. I don't reject people for a living but I think you must have tough skin to dash someone's hopes and dreams.

I do sometimes have to confront stunned, anguished, angry, or grieving people with reality, and I hate it every time.