Thursday, January 8, 2009

Christopher Tolkien polishing up new Phone Book of Middle Earth...

Okay, it's not really the Phone Book of Middle Earth.

Christopher Tolkien, son of the late JRR Tolkien, has found and edited yet another "long lost" unpublished work of his father's, this time an English translation of the Norse epic "The Phone Book of Sigurd" er, um, I mean The College Education of Peter Jackson's Kids...wait, no it's the Tales of Sigurd the Völsung and the Fall of the Niflungs. Yeah, that's it.

Does anyone else think that the reason these works were unpublished is possibly because Papa Tolkien wanted them that way? Just a thought.

8 comments:

Ugly Deaf Muslim Punk Gurl! said...

maybe, I don't know. People are almost always unearthing lost works by famous writers, that it's rarely surprising anymore.

There are old stories, plays and shit I have written in my early 20s and I guess they're really violent, hateful, and full of vengeance. I don't necessarily want anybody to read them, except my good friends.

pauljessup said...

Yeah, I was completely unimpressed with the Children of Hurin. It felt very simplistic compared to both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and lacking the fun and creative spark that propelled those two to awesomness.

Children of Hurin was just like gawain and the Green Knight and Beowulf. And while that might've been his point, both those books were only good in historical context and would be boring as shite if written today

Matt said...

Christoper is a fairly accomplished translator of that kind of thing himself. There's a pretty good discussion of the matter over on The Cimmerian blog: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=2763

Jarucia said...

Perhaps, as the answer to your question.

However, I was compelled to come on over and read your post based on the title alone.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Leatherdykeuk said...

If I was famous, I hope my kids would keep themselves in jevel-encrusted socks by managing to publish 'the lost shopping lists of that bird who used to write stuff'

Jeff said...

Who cares what Papa thinks, baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Ulysses said...

Maybe.

And while we're at it, I'd like to have a word with Brian Herbert as well...

Jeff said...

Ulysses speaks for me as well.