Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Facebook reverts to old TOS; posts a new Facebook Bill of Rights & Responsibilities:

In response to all of the uproar over their new Terms of Service, Facebook has temporarily reverted back to their previous TOS. In addition, they've created a Facebook group called Facebook Bill of Rights & Responsibilities, where they are soliciting input from users about how to best word their new Terms of Service. They've also posted an apology:
1. You own your information. Facebook does not. This includes your photos and all other content.

2. Facebook doesn't claim rights to any of your photos or other content. We need a license in order to help you share information with your friends, but we don't claim to own your information.

3. We won't use the information you share on Facebook for anything you haven't asked us to. We realize our current terms are too broad here and they make it seem like we might share information in ways you don't want, but this isn't what we're doing.

4. We will not share your information with anyone if you deactivate your account. If you've already sent a friend a message, they'll still have that message. However, when you deactivate your account, all of your photos and other content are removed.

5. We apologize for the confusion around these issues. We never intended to claim ownership over people's content even though that's what it seems like to many people. This was a mistake and we apologize for the confusion.

11 comments:

Bill Cameron said...

Give them points for it not being a completely mealy-mouthed non-apology apology. I'd like it better if the phrase "even though that's what it seem like to many people" wasn't in there. But considering the source, and considering who they hired as general counsel, this is pretty good.

My word verification is quite true for me: pondless

Scott said...

I saw the news first thing this morning when I logged on to my facebook account.

My partner is extremely relieved that facebook doesn't own that photo I posted of the front of our house. It appears he was bending over and rolling up the hose when I took the photo. His assets appear (fully clothed, btw) in the photo. Ooops! Oh well, too late now! LOL!

Ugly Deaf Muslim Punk Gurl! said...

haha, good riddance to Facebook! They think they can own us, but they can't and never will.

Jeanie W said...

That's more like it.

Jill Corcoran said...

Power to the People!

Cyber-uproar is a powerful thing:)

Thanks for the update.

ryan field said...

They were on CNN this morning making excuses. I heard there's more to the story...things invovling law suits...so this might not be the last we hear about this subject.

J. M. Strother said...

Reverting back to their original TOS is not all that good a deal. As I understand it, the original terms made the same rights claims. What the new TOS did was make them stick even if you closed your account.

But due to that change, a blog posted about the terms. This caused people who normally don't bother to read Terms of Service to become aware of what they were (potentially) giving away.

I'm not convinced that Facebook really has designs on our rights. But unless and until the actual Terms of Service make it clear that the original author retains all rights, it is still iffy to post any original material there.

I'm trying not to overreact. I did stop my blog feed to Facebook, and I deleted previous posts. But I will keep my account. It is still a valuable networking tool. If they get the language right I'll restart my blog feed. Until then, I will look into the "Title and Link" only feed. I do get quite a bit of traffic from Facebook.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
~jon

Jena said...

I *thought* I had all my privacy settings secure, but this morning I did some checking after reading this post: http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/ and discovered all kinds of leaks. The worst thing I found was the number of stupid little apps that had permission to store and share my data even when I wasn't using them.

Follow the links in the article - they take you deeper into your privacy settings than you'll get on your own.

Ann Victor said...

Yeah!!! This is more like it!

katatomic said...

and people wonder why I don't have a Facebook account....

Mags said...

Thank goodness. Those were some alarming days.

Full rights to "Mags is cooking soup!" once again belong to me. All to me.