Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The scariest new horror writer writing today meets the galaxy far, far away. (And it's bloody good fun!)

Joe Schreiber scares the living crap out of me. No, not as a person. He's a perfectly nice fellow. But his novels are terrifying. Like blood-curdling. I first came to be familiar with Joe's writing when my good friend Keith Clayton, who was at the time an editor at Del Rey Books, acquired Joe's first book Chasing the Dead. And then made me read it. Alone. At night. (Did I mention I was alone?) Which wasn't very nice of Keith. And was also utterly brilliant of him. Because Chasing the Dead is hands down the most frightening novel I have ever read in my life and after I read the manuscript, I didn't sleep for the next three nights. (Like, not even a little.) And I haven't stopped recommending Joe Schreiber since.

Now Joe Schreiber is bringing his particular brand of sheer bloody mayhem to a rather unexpected world: the world of Star Wars. Yeah, you heard that right. Joe is writing the first-ever horror novel set in the galaxy far, far away. And it's brilliant!

That's all I can tell you about the book, I'm afraid. If I told you anymore, I'd have to kill you. And then my friends at Del Rey and Lucasfilm would have to kill me. And then they'd have to hire Sam and Dean Winchester to burn my body and salt my ashes when I came back to haunt y'all for tattling on me. So no details!

But I can share with you the cover art, which is astoundingly creepy and awesome. (Click the cover above to see the full-sized art on StarWars.com.)

Deathtroopers
by Joe Schreiber will be coming out in our galaxy in October, 2009. If you're a fan of intense horror - even if you've never seen Star Wars (surprisingly, there are still people who have never seen Star Wars) - I guarantee you'll have a blast reading this book. Here's a great interview with Joe about Deathtroopers over at Bookspot Central. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Iasa said...

Wow, that makes my ex husband's Christmas gift an easy choice and I will have time to read it before I give it him.

Brian said...

This is totally one of those "why hadn't anyone done this yet" ideas. Very cool.

Jen said...

Horror and Star Wars together?

I am officially geeked! *rubs hands together and cackles*

Alyssa said...

Ack, Keith was in the RH madness??

clindsay said...

Alyssa -

No, Keith's job is safe and he is still working at Random House. But he's not an acquiring editor at Del Rey any longer.

L.C. Gant said...

That is sheer genius! I don't usually read horror, but just hearing that combination makes me want to go out and buy the book right now. I hope it's successful!

Disembodied Spirit said...

Very intriguing set of books. Thank you for the info.

Scary books are certainly rare... one that comes to mind... scary eerie, is Ian Banks, the Wasp Factory. There are images in that small book that will haunt the reader years later.

HLT

Jeff said...

Well hoorah for the Star Wars universe for being bold enough to do something different and unexpected. That's so rare these days.

jawajames said...

so, do you think that he will be allowed to make it as blood-curdling as he wants, or are there bounds in the SW universe for fear...

venglish157 said...

This book is definitely something that has peaked my interest. I will be waiting for the release of the book in the fall. Great website layout by the way.
~Vernon E.~