Monday, March 9, 2009

Better late than never: Query Haiku Contest Winners!

Can I just say how amazed I am that you guys always manage to rise to the incredible query challenges that I throw at you? First I make you do a whole query in 140 characters, and you blow me away with your creativity and ability to convey an idea in such a concise way. And now I make it harder: write a whole query using the constraints of the haiku format. Five syllables, seven syllables, five syllables.

GREAT JOB, PEOPLE!

Now, a few of you are not so great at counting syllables so those queries were, unfortunately, disqualified. (Although, if you want a great visual to keep you laughing, picture me mumbling to myself and counting syllables aloud on my fingers at 4:00 AM on Saturday night. Good times!) But the majority of you knocked the ball out of the part. Impressive!
The Winning Query:

Cross-dressing rent boy
wants man to love and girl's voice
in head to shut up.
(tcastleb)
Honorable Mentions:

Geek boy, surfer girl
Cosmic Freaky Friday tale
Nightmares turn to dreams
(laura)

Girl turns into frog
Must kiss princess to transform
Dissection is near
(teennovelist)

Sole teen character
Desolate wild Alaska
His quest to survive
(pablo)

Chicago mayor
hurts a child, K. breaks the news
mayor wants her dead
(thea miller ryan)

Knights of Roundtable
Reborn as New Jersey teens
Learn past, save future
(melissa)
The Funniest Queries:

Damn it, Jim, I'm a
Novelist not a poet,
Letter I will write.
(dina)

"It's about Love! O-
vercoming all obstacles."
Wait, that's Moulin Rouge.
(anonymous)

Will you buy my book?
It's Epic in Proportion,
Fraught with Great Peril.
(finch)

After near-drowning
Woman gives birth to mermaid
Spouse finds it fishy
(serenissima)
Thanks, everyone who participated! And Ms. Castleberry, please feel free to pick a query to send me a query to critique as your prize!

22 comments:

tcastleb said...

Oh wow. Cool! Thanks! I'll send it soon.

Melissa said...

Wow, thanks! Honorable mention! You've made my night!

Catherine said...

Love the winning one! :D And since a friend received an honourable mention, I just want to tell her how chuffed I am on her behalf.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Fabulous!
Well done, all.

Robin Wendell Glover said...

Well done everyone! I thought the mermaid one was particularly hilarious.

J. M. Strother said...

Congratulations!
Though I did not win contest,
Still enjoyed results.
~jon

k-macfarlane said...

Thank you for the opportunity. The Haiku Contest was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to see what you come up with next. (If you find the time, I know you're extremely busy.)

selestial-owg said...

Another great contest :D Thanks for doing these, they are a lot of fun.

teennovelist said...

Thanks so much for holding the contest, Ms. Lindsay. I'm thrilled my haiku received honorable mention!

Melissa said...

By the way, might I suggest a query contest using interpretive dance or sock puppets next?

pjd said...

Sock puppets?
Ooh! Bad Melissa. No cookie!


I still love the frog one best of all and would love to see that query. Ah, well.

Dominique said...

Wow. I'm impressed.
Also, I have a great urge to read some of these books.

deltay said...

Hahaha - oh wow, these are definitely really impressive!

Serenissima said...

Thanks for including a 'funniest' category and for hosting such a cool contest!

Congrats to tcastleb on the win! Sounds like an interesting story.

Yat-Yee said...

Colleen: I came over from Nathan's blog. You're right: these people are way too creative! Now I got to try.

Ms. MacFey said...

I'm very sad that I missed this contest! I'm going to try to write one anyway!

lizB said...

The winning entry rocks! I want to read the book already.

Liz

laurasmagicday said...

Congrats tcasteb! Thanks so much for the Honorable Mention:) woohoooo! Thanks for having the contest. Very fun.

T. Anne said...

oops missed the contest! Have another so I can win!

Ruth said...

Thought I could do this.
I was wrong--I tried, I failed.
Winners, I'm in awe.

ryan field said...

Love the winner!!

talshannon said...

Sorry I missed this. Looks like it was fun. Ah well, better late than never...

Story #1:

Girl with fated sword
her true love a warlock bound
too bad she kills him

Story #2:

innocence desires
his eyes of blood and darkness
take in her pale throat

(Sorry, the second one should have been a query haiku, but somehow ended up being more of an actual poem that broke the haiku rules.)