Monday, March 2, 2009

Wise words on rejection from writer/actress/director Amber Benson.

Most of you out there may know Amber Benson best from her three-year stint as "Tara" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I know her best as a writer. (And as the extremely good-natured kid who forgave me when I accidentally detoured her and Chris Golden to Coney Island on a suddenly-express F train while on the way to a book signing at the Park Slope Barnes & Noble. Oooops!) You see, back when I worked at Del Rey Books, I had the good fortune to be able to work with Amber and Christopher on their co-authored book The Ghosts of Albion. (Good stuff! Go out and find a copy!). I'd never actually seen BTVS until after I met Amber, so in my mind, the "writer" part of "actor/director/writer" always comes first. Speaking of which, Amber's new urban fantasy novel, Death's Daughter, has just come out from Ace/Roc.

We discuss rejection a lot here on the Swivet. Rejection is one of the terrible but necesary parts of growing as a writer. But writing isn't the only creative profession that comes with constant rejection. Head over to Amber's blog and read a great post about how she learned to keep her soul while dealing with rejection in Hollywood.

(Broken link fixed! Sorry!)

3 comments:

just Joan said...

Thanks for the link. It's a great post.

goddesskatlyna02 said...

The links were a great way to start the day. Thanks for sharing with us!

Ace said...

Thanks for the link.

Inspiring words.